Here are the answers to the Movie Quotes Challenge Meme I did a few days ago. We were to pick fifteen of our favorite movies and post a quote from each of them. Readers were then to try and guess which movies the quotes were from. A lot of them were guessed, but a lot of them weren't. Here is the original post if you're interested.
(note: In the original post I put "Character One:" and "Character Two" in place of the actual character names in order to not give away the answers. In this posting I've put in the actual names.
1. Selene: "How can you trust him over me?"
Viktor: "Because he's not the one who has been tainted by an animal.
Underworld. No one got this one.
Reason it's one of my favorites: I have a thing for vampires and forbidden love.
2. Ariel: "Oh - he's very handsome, isn't he?"
Scuttle: "I dunno, he looks kinda hairy and slobbery to me."
The Little Mermaid, guessed by - ccmom
Reason it's one of my favorites: This was one of my favorite movies growing up, and it still is. I just love romance. My favorite line in this whole movie is from when Eric is trying to rescue Ariel and he says, "I lost her once, I'm not going to lose her again!" *sigh*
On a side note, wouldn't it be nice for a certain pin striped Doctor to say that...
3. "Out there. My fans. Thousands and thousands. They worship me. Millions of arms reach out to embrace, beg me to come into their lives."
Queen of the Damned. No one even tried to get this one.
Reason it's one of my favorites: People say that this is a terrible adaptation of the book, but I've never read the book, so I just like the movie in its own right. It's sexy, intriguing, and I absolutely LOVE the music in it. Plus, did I mention I have a thing for vampires?
4. Elizabeth: "We have an address, a dry cleaning ticket and a book of matches. Do you know what that means?"
David: "We could start a very small fire?"
Just Like Heaven. A few people tried to guess this one, but no one got it right.
Reason it's one of my favorites: It's a feel good romantic comedy that makes me laugh and sigh and squee. What could be bad about that?
5. "So this is your opinion of me? Thank you. Perhaps these offenses might have been overlooked had your pride not been hurt by scruples about our relationship. Am to rejoice in the inferiority of your recent circumstances?"
Pride and Prejudice guessed by beneficia
Reason it's one of my favorites: It's Pride and Prejudice, do I really have to go into it anymore? It's just one of the most romantic stories ever written, and I love pretty much any version they make of it.
6. "have you ever, like, seen somebody? And you knew that, if only that person really knew you, they would, well, they would of course dump the perfect model that they were with, and realize that YOU were the one that they wanted to, just, grow old with."
While You Were Sleeping. I was sure that someone would get this one, but alas, I was wrong.
Reason it's one of my favorites: I love a good romantic comedy, and this one is in top form. The crazy family really does it for me too, as I can relate. I could watch this movie over and over and...
7. "What was that honey? It was BAD! It had no fire, no energy, no nothing! So tomorrow from 5 to 7 will you PLEASE act like you have more than a two word vocabulary. It must be green."
The Fifth Element guessed by beneficia
Reason it's one my favorites: It should be enough to say that it's a movie with romance, comedy, sci-fi, and action, but it isn't. I love the symmetry of this movie, and how beautiful all the scenes are. It proves that a movie can be art without being boring.
8. "You're a snotty little miss cranky pants and I go with the flow, so why would you ever think for one second that I'd ever have the same taste in guys?"
What a Girl Wants guessed by killmotion
Reason it's one of my favorites: Another romantic comedy, this time with a previously unknown child (at least to the father) showing up. Throw in the fact that it takes place in London and has Colin Firth in it, and you had me at "hello."
9. "No. As you know, that was a done deal long ago. Unless, of course, Claudia Schiffer calls, in which case I want you out of the house straight away, you wee motherless mongrel."
Love Actually guessed by brilliantomega
Reason it's one of my favorites: This movie is amazing. It shows love in so many of its forms, and is real without missing out on the fun and laughter. Plus, it has Colin Firth in it.
10. "We are oddities of nature, you and I. Nothing more! This is a world for humanity."
Underworld Evolution. No guesses for this one either.
Reason it's one of my favorites: More action, more forbidden romance, and move vampires, this time with an actual love scene. Need I say more?
11. "An Avalanche is coming, and I am not prepared. In fact, if I have to say it, I must say that I'm scared. If I were talking, you'd hear just how I screamed. But, since I'm only singing, I'll yodel 'till we're creamed!"
Hoodwinked guessed by beneficia
Reason it's one of my favorites: This parody of Little Red Riding Hood makes me laugh so hard I nearly pee my pants. Nuff said.
12. "Then let's say God puts two people on Earth and they are lucky enough to find one another. But one of them gets hit by lightning. Well then what?"
Ever After. No one guessed this one.
Reason it's one of my favorites: This is a gorgeously romantic, beautifully shot, version of Cinderella. I recommend it to anyone.
13. "Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy!"
Star Wars IV: A New Hope guessed by ladyofgallifrey.
Reason it's one of my favorites: You can't call yourself a sci-fi fan if you don't like this movie. It's Star Wars, the original, and it's a classic.
14. "Ma chère mademoiselle. It is with deepest pride and greatest pleasure that we welcome you tonight. And now, we invite to relax, let us pull up a chair, as the dining room proudly presents... your dinner."
Beauty and the Beast (animated Disney version) guessed by misssara11.
Reason it's one of my favorites: This is the only animated Disney movie that I know of, where the two characters actually fall in love gradually instead of being instantly smitten with one another. I think it's beautiful.
15. "Wind can do it, we can do it."
A Far Off Place. No one tried to guess this one.
Reason it's one of my favorites: A very young Reese Witherspoon stars in this adventure/drama where three young people and a dog have to cross the Kalahari Desert in order to escape some poachers. It's a beautiful movie where friendship and perseverance overcome evil. I've loved it since my first viewing.